UHS Women & Children’s Bed Tower
San Antonio, TX
Brandt’s immense experience in the Texas healthcare market helped secure the University Health System Women and Children’s Bed Tower in San Antonio, Texas. Patients will receive the highest level of compassionate care when the facility opens in 2023.
Our team is providing design-assist services and HVAC, plumbing, and medical gas installations to the only hospital in South Texas exclusively focused on the unique needs of women and children.
The expansion will provide:
- A new 15-story, 300-bed hospital for women, babies, and children
- A new 6-story, 900-space parking garage
- A new 40,000 square-foot heart, vascular, and endoscopy unit inside the existing hospital
In preparation for the large-scale hospital expansion, Brandt worked closely alongside the general contractors, Joeris and JE Dunn, for a year and a half to plan and design the project. This project has already been a tremendous achievement for those involved as the prefabricated racks are Brandt’s largest in-house crafted equipment to date.
Our Virtual Design and Construction (VDC) crew and prefabrication teams designed and manufactured the equipment meticulously, while our field team will showcase the exceptional spectrum of Brandt’s capabilities through the installation process. In addition, heavy coordination took place amongst Brandt and the general contractors to accommodate massive, prefabricated equipment throughout the 550,000 square foot facility.
Rack prefabrication includes:
- Two-story vertical racks weighing up to 12,000 pounds each
- 150 multi-trade racks varying between 20 and 38 feet in length, between 3 feet to 5 feet in height, and weighing up to 16,000 pounds. (HVAC piping, domestic water, medical gas, sheet metal, electrical, fire protection, cable tray)
- Corridor racks including wall panels with sheetrock installed
- Multiple equipment skids containing pumps, water heaters, steam to hot heat exchangers, piping, and insulation.
- Owner: University Health System
- Architect: Marmon Mok / ZGF
- Contractor: Joeris + JE Dunn JV
- Engineer: AEI
- Start/Completion Dates: 08/2019 – 07/2023
- Project Size: 538,000 SF (New Tower) and 48,000 SF (renovation)
- Brandt Role: Design-Assist Mechanical & Plumbing