Investing in Energy Efficiency
Whether you’re constructing a new business or maintaining your existing building, energy savings start with a commissioning process. Building systems should adapt and grow, just like your business. And it all begins with a commissioning project.
Today, new buildings are commissioned with energy savings in mind. But if your business space was built more than 20 years ago, your operations may not be functioning efficiently today, resulting in energy waste and high utility bills. That’s when it’s a good idea to consider retro-commissioning your business space.
Retro-commissioning is a process to improve an existing building’s efficiency and performance. The purpose is to determine and analyze any building operational functions that could improve energy efficiency.
The retro-commissioning process has four phases:
- Planning: During this phase, building specialists determine which system operations need to be analyzed in the commercial building.
- Operations: This phase allows building specialists to create and prioritize a list of operational deficiencies.
- Implementation: Here, the highest operations priorities are corrected, followed by operational verification.
- Hand-off: Building improvements are reported to the business owner. The owner is also informed and trained in operations and maintenance.
Retro-commissioning your existing building does not mean that ongoing maintenance comes to a halt or stops altogether.
The retro-commissioning process is not a substitute for maintenance—it’s a smart way to improve your commercial building and start seeing energy savings.
Energy Efficiency: Return On Investment (ROI)
There are some significant benefits to retro-commissioning, which results in a greater return on your investment:
- Improved Occupant Comfort
- During a retro-commissioning project, it’s common for specialists to find ways to improve air control systems, which results in higher indoor air quality, alleviating any concerns employees may have.
- Improved Building Operations
- Retro-commissioning reduces maintenance calls, which lowers your maintenance costs and impacts your ROI.
- Reduced Operating Costs and Decreased Energy Consumption
- Problems that weren’t addressed during the initial building construction are solved.
- The shelf life of equipment is extended.
- Failed or malfunctioning equipment is replaced.
- Solutions for systematic building operation issues are created.
- Excessive equipment run times due to changes in occupancy or space usage are eliminated.
- Control sequences are optimized.
Retro-commissioning also gives you a strategic building plan for your future, allows you to make intelligent decisions, and ensures your equipment runs at optimal performance. Contact us today, and we’ll tell you how we can help get you started.
Business owners can also start from scratch and commission their buildings. Commissioning a building before it’s constructed often begins when the business is just an idea.
Along with retro-commissioning, Brandt building experts offer superior commissioning services. From the beginning stages to the grand opening, we work to make sure building systems perform sufficiently.
Our commissioning process includes:
- Pre-Commissioning Review: Review product documentation to ensure the design meets code and standards
- Building Automation System Review: Control systems are analyzed for optimal performance and energy consumption
- Construction Support: Jobsite observations are performed to generate an issue log and complete plan according to National Environmental Balancing Bureau (NEBB) standards.
- Field Installation: Field installation forms are used to verify accurate completion of the job.
- Functional Performance Testing (FPT) & Operational Performance Testing (OPT): Full-operational validation status of equipment and systems is performed, ensuring all system aspects are performing to design specifications.
Building Systems: Renovations
Another way to reduce energy in your commercial building is to renovate. We have more than 50 mobile crews that travel to deliver high-quality renovations that improve energy costs. Our building experts have experience renovating school campuses, data centers, and healthcare facilities. Even a minor improvement, such as upgrading your heating and cooling system, can benefit your long-term bottom line. Contact us to learn more about how minor renovations can bring you energy-efficient ROI.
Invest in Energy Savings with Brandt Companies
We strive to meet the highest efficiency standards. That’s why more than 50 of our building professionals are accredited for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEEDⓇ). We have the expertise to help you retro-commission your existing building so you can benefit from improved energy efficiency, resulting in major energy savings.
Our approach is based on problem-solving, testing and diagnostic monitoring, and troubleshooting. Think of us as your trusted, independent partner who challenges your current equipment to improve your commercial building system. Contact us today to learn more about how Brandt can help you with your retro-commissioning project.